Now is a better time than any to pop the gardening gloves on and plant a tree or shrub.
With School Tree Day today and National Tree Day this Sunday July 27, there is something fun and interactive happening near you.
Developed by Planet Ark, National Tree Day is an Australian environmental initiative aimed at promoting community planting of native trees and shrubs with a huge range of celebrities endorsing the day. Click here to see who is supporting the 2014 Tree Day.
Trees allow a canopy and habitat for wildlife, encourage biodiversity and produce oxygen, but they provide many additional benefits that you may not be aware of.
As stated by Planet Ark, near-by trees have a calming effect which can significantly reduce workplace stress levels.
Why are trees so important to our community?
- Trees have a calming effect which can significantly reduce workplace stress levels and fatigue.
- They muffle sound from nearby streets and freeways, as well as calm traffic.
- Tree plantings provides an opportunity for community involvement and engage all cultures, ages and genders in the important role of tree planting or tree care.
- Trees beautify communities and improve the views.
- Trees make great landmarks that can give communitie.s a new identity and encourage community spirit.
- Trees improve air quality by absorbing polluting gases and odours and filtering air particles.
- Trees save water as shade from trees slows water evaporation.
- Trees combat the greenhouse effect through carbon sequestration (the general term used for the capture and long-term storage of carbon dioxide).
You don’t need to dedicate just one day of the year to plant trees and shrubs. If you’re interested in getting the gardening gloves on any day of the year, click here for step-by-step instructions.
If you would like to find out about events near you, register your tree planting event, or learn more about the benefits of tree planting days click here .