Winter has been a cold and wet one so far here on the Surf Coast, but do not despair! We love our coast come rain, hail and shine (and snow too!) and to help you survive these cold few months we have come up with some ideas for you to enjoy the coast all year round.
The cooler months of June through to August offer an escape from the heat and the crowds, and are said by some to be the ideal time for a trip to the Great Ocean Road. The traffic is less chaotic, the accommodation options are unlimited, and everything is less expensive! These are our favourite things we love about the coast in winter.
- The local ‘Farmers Market’
- Enjoy the local produce from the Torquay Farmers Market and bag yourself a bargain. Every Saturday from 8.30am-1pm
- Visit your local arts festivals
- Surf Coast Arts Trail (August 13)
- Lorne Festival of Performing Arts (September 2)
- Gardening time
- Winter is the perfect time to get planting and regenerating your backyard.
- Go wildlife exploring
- There’s so many wonderful animals visiting our coast over the winter including whales and birds such as the rare Rufous Bristlebird. Listen out for it’s unique call!
- Avoid the crowds
- It’s a bit easier to find a spot on the sand, the carpark, the amenities, or cafes. What more could you want!
What do you love about the coast in winter?