Living in the world of smartphones and selfies, there is a constant desire to take the perfect pic for every moment.
At Great Ocean Road Coast, we’re trying to make your memory of the Great Ocean Road a safer one, which is why we are seeking your feedback on what to do at the Memorial Arch site in Eastern View.
Great Ocean Road Coast CEO Richard Davies said “the Arch ”was one of the Great Ocean Road’s most recognisable photo locations and is visited by thousands of tourists daily.
“This options paper will help us develop a long-term solution that prioritises the safety of visitors, vehicle and pedestrian accessibility, cultural heritage as well as reducing current environmental impacts.”
The options paper to date proposes three different scenarios for the future management of the site:
- Snap Shot. The key change from the existing arrangement is the removal of parking for large tourist buses and large vehicles from the precinct.
- Rest Point. Extension of the Snap Shot arrangement but with the addition of bus parking further to the east of the current car park (situated on an already disturbed area, subject to weed removal).
- Drive Thru. Based upon the premise that the current site is unsuitable as a stopping point and should be limited to a marker along the Great Ocean Road rather than a stop.
- Other. This is to ensure we capture any other management ideas the community may have for the site.
The paper has been developed by Great Ocean Road Coast Committee, Great Ocean Road Tourism, Surf Coast Shire, Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP), VicRoads, Regional Development Victoria and Parks Victoria with input from a community reference group, Tour Operators and the broader community.
“There has been a wide variety of views on how we manage the site and testing these options will help us pull together a long-term plan,” said Mr Davies.
Have your say on our website or go straight to the online survey.
The immediate safety of visitors on site remains top priority. Interim measures include:
- safety signage
- clearer demarcation of car parking
- signage directing visitors to nearest toilets
- compliance activities.
To provide feedback and view the detailed options paper, along with the issues and opportunities paper, questions and answers, and other information on our website.